Star Australian batsman Marnus Labuschagne has said that the World Cup 2023 selection is not in his control and suggested that he will accept whatever fate throws at him. The right-handed batsman’s statement came after he played another match-winning innings against South Africa in the second ODI in Bloemfontein on Saturday, September 9, 2023. The 29-year-old once again stepped up for Australia and scored 124 runs in 99 balls to take Australia to a mammoth score of 392-6 in the allotted 50 overs.
Marnus Labuschagne brought up his second ODI century off just 80 balls and shared a 151-run partnership with David Warner as the Yellows took a 2-0 lead in the five-match series.
In the post-match presentation, Labuschagne felt that he had thrown away his wicket as he could have added 30 more runs to the total. He also credited Travis Head and David Warner for laying the foundation with their 109-run opening partnership. He said:
“It’s always nice, nice to score some runs and obviously to get this win. Yeah, I still think that I left a few runs there. I could have really opened up and get some more 30. But you have to be contented. Not just me, the boys out there.
“The boys got a lightning start and even when we lost wickets, we managed to get up. It is not under my control [on World Cup non-selection]. I was having a word with Shamsi. My thing is to play my cricket. If I get to go home, I get to see my daughter, if I go to the World Cup, I get to play the World Cup.”
The South African-born cricketer arrived in the first ODI as a concussion replacement for Cameron Green. Chasing 223 runs, the visiting team was reduced to 113-7, but Labuschagne along with Ashton Agar made an unbroken 112-run partnership to give Australia a three-wicket win.
Also Read: Aakash Chopra Wants India’s Batsmen To Play The Ball And Not The Bowlers in The Asia Cup Super 4 Match Against Pakistan.
“He’s Putting His Hand Up” – David Warner on Marnus Labuschagne
In the post-match press conference, Warner said that Marnus Labuschagne has taken full advantage of the opportunities he has been given so far and he feels that the selectors have a difficult situation. He said
“Marnus is a quality player. He played extremely well and he’s in a good place. The selectors have spoken to Marnus. I think quite clearly you can see that it’s a like-for-like replacement with (Steve) Smith.
“We’ve got extreme firepower and a lot of all-rounders as well, which is always handy in this format, but then again, form is the greatest thing for selection. He’s putting his hand up, he’s making the most of those opportunities, and you’ll have to wait and see what selectors say.”
The third ODI starts in Potchefstroom on Tuesday (September 12).